- This event has passed.
2023 Spring Break Culture Camp “Spanish: One Language–Many Cultures”
April 17th @ 9:00 am - April 18th @ 3:00 pm
April 17 & 18, 2023
9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
(ages 8-10; 3rd-5th graders)
Penobscot Bay Language School’s two day Spring Break Culture Camp “Spanish: One Language–Many Cultures” (4/17-4/18) explores the world’s second most common (natively spoken) language, and the vast cultural diversity that spans the globe through this common tongue. Campers will learn basic Spanish words and expressions through a dynamic immersive program taught by skilled instructors and local members of the Spanish speaking community. Our Culture Camp program combines language lessons, art, cooking, storytelling, music, and dance to paint a broad picture of the cultural diversity of the Spanish Speaking world!
Youth campers ages 8-10 will explore Spanish language and culture during Day 1 of camp and introduce the colonial influences of the language superimposed over much of what we now call Latin America. Day 2 will be focused on Mexican language and culture, including the global influence of Nahuatl (the language of the Aztec) and its influence beyond the impact on modern Spanish language (and postcolonial culture).
- Spanish language lessons (standard Castilian Spanish)
- Sing-a-long activities with music from around the Spanish speaking world
- Stories read aloud and from the oral tradition
- Prepare and taste delicious foods commonly enjoyed by children from Spain and Mexico
- Arts and Crafts inspired by the many traditions of craft making and folk art from Spain and Latin America
- Indoor and OUTDOOR springtime fun!
Each day includes a mix of cultural activities along with basic Spanish language lessons. Language lessons are theme-based and age appropriate. Our varied activities encourage the development of important social skills and offer a solid linguistic and cultural base for young linguists to build upon as they start their lifelong language learning journey.
Price $ 150 (per camper)