Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Dinner & Discuss: Empanadas & Patagonia – Bi-national treasures!

February 8, 2023 @ 5:30 pm

We are excited to announce the return of Nelson Sanchez Oyarzo to ​the PBLS Cultural Kitchen ​for an encore event featuring a variety of delicious Chilean empanadas! Following the wild success of his 2022 empanada event with PBLS, we just had to get him back in the kitchen! The Chilean themed evening will begin with a meal of Chilean empanadas, followed by an informative presentation–about a topic very close to home by Mr. Sanchez Oyarzo regarding his time growing-up in and around southern Chile’s portion of Patagonia.

Mr. Sanchez Oyarzo spends a portion of his year working on scientific expeditions to Antarctica, which launch from Patagonia. He spends much of his “off time” living in midcoast Maine with his spouse. His work and travels have taken him back to Patagonia year after year. Mr. Sanchez Oyarzo will share from his own experiences, living, working, and growing-up in the southernmost part of the Americas. Growing up in the timeless beauty of this magical place, our chef/speaker will share a unique first hand perspective of just how fragile this timelessness can be.

Join us for an important conversation about our natural world, and the dire consequences we face as a planet in the face of global climate change. Enjoy a taste of Chile with a variety of delicious authentic empanadas, and do not miss this important discussion!

Entrance $25/person, all proceeds support local language and cultural community programming. 

Known for its glaciers, climate, biodiversity, and unique geography–approximately 10% of Patagonia falls within the borders of the nation of Chile. While the other 90% of Patagonia located in Argentina is well known for its natural beauty, and the well documented loss of this natural treasure, Chile’s Patagonia, scored by the Andes Mountains, offers even more geographic and biologic diversity as its Argentine counterpart, and is equally as threatened by human behavior. Patagonia is made up of localized economies, isolated communities, and a long history of cultural diversity that is unknown to much of the world! Join us as we explore Chilean Patagonia–with Chile’s most celebrated snack–empanadas!

 

Register here!

Details

Date:
February 8, 2023
Time:
5:30 pm
Event Category: